July 22, 2008

2 Thumbs Up....Or Maybe a Little Sideways


As you can tell, Megan's thumbs aren't exactly straight. I didn't notice it until about 6 months ago. I told her to give me a thumbs up one day and this is what I got. I tried to straighten them for her but they won't budge. Her pediatrician recommended a hand doctor so we set an appointment to see him. The prognosis - congenital trigger thumb - on both thumbs.
The only way to fix them is with surgery. All they do is snip the sheath that is around her tendon and everything is fine. It is a day surgery, but she will have to go under because she is so young. The date set for the surgery is August 12.
We have been telling her that she is going to go to sleep and while she is sleeping, Dr. Robinson will fix her thumbs so they look like mom and dad's. She doesn't seem to be scared for now. Who knows what will happen when we get there for the surgery.
I'll make sure to keep everyone updated after the surgery and post pictures so she can show off her straight thumbs.

2 comments:

Lacy King said...

I love it! It makes her different! Just be happy it is her thumbs and not her eyes. :) HA HA HA! She is such a cutie

Sara said...

Wow that is so crazy. Hopefully all goes well with that!